Friday, May 23, 2008

E-Dialogue

The idea of sharing ideas and connecting with people all over the world seems like a great idea... at first. In principle the idea is fantastic. Bringing together the great minds from all over the world, without travelling and spewing GHG into the atmosphere. You also can have an infinite audience, no worrying about selling out lecture halls. It seems like a great idea.

Then I got invited to one. One of my profs, not you Chris ;), sent some groups an email about a GHG e-dialogue. Some of the world experts were going to talk about this relevant subject. I instantly clicked the delete option on my email account. When my colleagues got the email, there response was similar. Maybe it is because we already spend TOO much of our days with our butts in chairs in class or in front of a computer. I already think my vision has been impaired because off too much face to screen time, the LAST thing i wanted to do was read long-winded typing about carbon footprints. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but i like face to face talking. It keeps me more engaged. The computer and the Internet has brought us many great opportunities, but it also is keeping us inside, too much.

maybe if I was sitting on the beach with a laptop.. then I might be in.

No comments: