Friday, May 23, 2008

Environmental Ethics

This topic gets me fired up, mostly because this is one area where I tend to differ from most of my classmates. In the 4 quadrant framework for Env ethics, i tend to lean towards the Anthropocentric, Duty-based corner. I love and respect the environment. I believe in protecting all parts of nature, but i do NOT believe that humans are equal to nature. I do not think that humans are just another species on this planet (ruining it most people like to add). I believe that we are set apart and are stewards of the environment. I do not that this gives us free reign to do whatever we please with it, like the Utilitarian anthropocentric view. I believe that we are responsible for maintaining and responsibly using what we have power over. I believe that we are not doing a good job of this, and I don't think it is possible to be proper stewards when everyone in the world has a different view on what should be done with nature.


This is what depresses me when I think about our future. How can we make the planet a better place when we have so many different people who think so differently about how they want to live. I hope there is some way that humans can respect nature enough to stop exploiting it.

No comments: