Friday, May 23, 2008

Sustainability Indicators

The UN has categorizes sustainability into measurable indicators in order to classify sustainability, and i like it. Maybe its because I am a competitive guy. I liked it when Canada was the 'best country to live in' for all those years in the late 90's, now we keep losing to Sweden and Denmark (although I wouldn't complain about free university). I like being able to see measurable results and compare them to other people/countries. Now if I was living in Sierra Leone, I might not care so much that my sustainability score was less than Qatar.

I think that there would be most useful for a country to measure growth. For Canada our indicators can be studied every year to see what kind of progress we are making. This also allows our politicians some baselines for policy making. I was not pleased to see that Canada only has 6 indicators and the UK has over 60. Maybe Canada has less to work on ;)

No comments: